Revamping an old wig can breathe new life into it, making it look fresh and fabulous again. You can do this at home with some simple tools and products. Here’s a guide on how to do it:
- Detangling: Before you do anything else, you need to detangle the wig. Use a wide-tooth comb or a wig brush, starting from the ends and gently working your way up to the roots to minimize shedding and breakage.
- Washing: Clean your wig using lukewarm water mixed with a sulfate-free shampoo. It’s crucial to use lukewarm water and to wash gently to avoid damaging the wig. After shampooing, rinse the wig thoroughly.
- Conditioning: Apply a good quality conditioner or hair mayonnaise to the wig. You might also want to consider a deep conditioning treatment using hair cholesterol or coconut oil. After applying the conditioner, wrap the wig in a plastic bag and leave it for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Drying: Once you’ve washed and conditioned the wig, blot it gently with a towel to remove excess water. Avoid wringing or twisting. Then, let it air dry on a wig stand. Avoid using a hairdryer as the heat can damage some types of wigs.
- Styling: Depending on the type of wig (synthetic or human hair), you can restyle it using appropriate tools. For synthetic wigs, be careful with heat. You can use perm rods for curling. For human hair wigs, you can use a flat iron or curling iron. Always use a heat protectant spray before applying heat.
- Finishing Touches: Once the wig is dry and styled, you can apply wig styling products like serum or hairspray for added shine and hold. Then, gently brush or comb the wig to make sure it’s tangle-free and looks polished.
- Storage: Proper storage is key to maintaining your wig’s shape and style. Store it on a wig stand or in a wig box, away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Special Tips: For synthetic wigs, you can also consider methods like steaming or soaking in fabric softener to soften the fibers. For human hair wigs, you might want to try adding bangs or cutting it into a bob for a new look.
Remember, the key to a successful wig revamp is patience and gentle handling. Treat your wig with care, and it will continue to be a versatile and beautiful part of your style arsenal.